Tuesday 26 April 2011

Evaluation Question 2

2. How does your media product represent particular social groups?


My targeted audience are middle class adults in their mid-twenties, with a demographic of BC1. I have created a list of reasons as to how my magazine represents my particular social group, which are as follows;

- Colour Scheme

- Pictures

- Article content

- Overall Design - font and intended adverts


Colour Scheme

Firstly, the colour scheme is gold/ bronze tint, black and red. The gold and bronze tint symbolises wealth and wellbeing, which my chosen demographic will most likely aspire to. Black depicts mystery, as well as elegance in my magazine. The mystery is there as the big question which will be going through the readers minds will be whether these bands will make it big. Elegance is primarily the reason for black; with the darkness depicting the ambiance of the night; the glamorous feel of going out in the evening, popular with middle aged middle class men and women. Red generally depicts alarm, but may in this case metaphorically describe the way in which two bands have stumbled upon each other. Red also captures peoples attention very well and is commonly used on the front cover of magazines for this very purpose.


Pictures

I tried to make sure the pictures I used were specifically aimed at my social audience. As well as the colours, the places and themes of the photo’s were meant to have connotations the readers could perhaps connect to. The front cover has a picture of a person wearing traditionally middle class clothing, youthful but somewhat adult like with the zip jumper. The edited in background of the front cover is a park in central Bristol, but looks to the reader like a path from somewhere in Alice in Wonderland. The picture on the contents page of the chandelier has obvious connotations of my particular social group; evenings out to the theatre are stereotypical with aspirers. Finally, the chess board and pieces on the DPS are generally associated with the middle classes by way of nature. In terms of semiotics, this may bring the reader to think of their time as a child when they might have played chess. Many private schools have chess clubs and a large proportion of the readers might have been to one before. This means the use of the chess board and pieces could create an emotional connection with the reader.


Article Content

The article content is incredibly important when choosing to represent a particular social group. I was inspired for the content of the article on the DPS from arts magazines and even movie reviews. I realised I had to simulate an article review similar to that of the Guardian, Times or Telegraph in order to represent my particular social group. This meant I used relatively high, arts related, register language, such as ‘experimenting’, ‘emotions’ , ‘underrated’ and ‘justified’. This gave the feeling of the article a theatrical feel, which connects with the ‘Cinematic Orchestra’. The use of the two seasons ‘Autumn’ and ‘Spring’ are also quite representative of my social group because the activities the group pursue change during them; e.g. kayaking in Spring and Skiing in Autumn.


Overall Design

The design of my magazine is largely developed around, and pays homage to, conventional magazines. I believe my magazine design represents my particular social group by a collaboration of the above methods, which in turn create a complete magazine aimed at my demographic of BC1. The fonts I used without doubt represent the social group of my target market. The primary font used was ‘Didot’, which I think was important in keeping with my chosen social group. Where other magazines with a similar demographic (e.g. Cosmopolitan with ABC1) have used a similar font, I have followed, because the semiotics of the font automatically show that the magazine must be aimed at people within the top social groups, such as aspirers and ABC1. The Adverts I would have intended to have in my magazine would have included those such as Ralph Lauren and Rolex which are systematically aimed at my social group. They will most likely own or have an interest in brands like these already.

No comments:

Post a Comment