Thursday 14 April 2011

Critique: Double Page Spread

I was pleased with the way the DPS came out, except there was one major floor - the middle of the page. This is why I am going to discuss the critique first.

Critique
Steve Priddell and Rowland Cowley said the following;
  1. There is no fold line in the middle. In other words, half of the words will be unreadable and the title will be cut. It looks great, but you need to change the design so there is no overlapping in the middle of the page
  2. Watch out for page margins again (the page '4' number had been cut off)
  3. Make the black chess piece bigger
  4. Make the picture of me bigger, so the body is a predominant feature of the page
  5. Give the heading, chess pieces and photo of the body a drop shadow effect
  6. Another picture is needed


Essentially, I needed to make sure there was a split in the middle of the page, as currently the words in the third paragraph would be chopped out. I also realised that I needed to fill the page more. The title wasn't very effective, so I needed to change that (See 'Double Page Spread: Theme' post for the new title). The title font I used was 'Didot' again, in keeping with the theme and font cover of the magazine. I used a chess board for the background, which I made 90% transparent to make the writing and pictures more clear. Also, I put three pictures of chess pieces on the DPS. Steve Priddell told me I should make the black one look bigger as a statement piece. I put the page numbers '3' and '4' on the bottom left and right of each page, although the four was just chopped off when printed. Also, I put 'Unsigned | Submotion vs Cinematic' at the bottom of the page, to make it look more professional; like I did with the contents page, but with the name of the article instead of 'Spring Edition'. For my final piece I will include another picture as advised, but I also need to depict the other lead member of the duo.

No comments:

Post a Comment