Thursday 14 April 2011

Critique: Front Cover

I felt the front cover went well, with the editing of the picture of me onto the autumnal trees having gone well. I wasn't so sure with the rest of the design, the masthead was at the bottom and the barcode left no space for a price. For the article subheadings I decided to put simply 'Autumn Review' and 'Submotion vs Cinematic'. This kept in keeping with the 'handbook' style of magazine I wanted to create, which isn't intended to advertise every single page of contents like a fashion magazine would. I have no problems with the background photo but I know I need to make changes with the overall design of the cover. After having printed it onto glossy paper for the critique showing, it turned out that the writing didn't come out so well. Also, the barcode - which is a font from dafont.com, called 'Barcode Font' came out too bold when printed, because I had to print it as a PDF file through a different MAC. The font I used for the masthead was 'Didot'. I like the simplicity of it, but it is also slightly old fashioned as well as contemporary. I used the same font for the article subheadings as well, in keeping with the design.

Critique
Steve Priddell and Rowland Cowley said the following;
  1. Make sure you don't let any of the magazine get cut by the page margins when printed.
  2. Give the subheadings a drop shadow effect to make them show up more
  3. Move the background up to leave more space for the barcode, pricing etc
  4. Move the masthead to the top, there is plenty of space for it. This is because in a newsagents the masthead would be cut off because it's slotted into a shelf, it needs to be at the top otherwise no one will see it's name

No comments:

Post a Comment